Saturday, March 10, 2007

My problems with money

I really struggle with the money issue. I tithe, but I don't really give God control of my finances regarding my purchases. Being here in Germany has made me realize just how much I'm influenced by the consumerism of American culture. Apart from my church, I miss shopping maybe more than friends and family. And that is seriously messed up. I'm constantly thinking of what I need to buy next that will make me happy. Right now, it's a black pair of Primo Chill slides from Merrell (the two pairs I already own in different shades of brown aren't enough), and a portable DVD player. I almost seem to become obsessed with these things that I think I need.

I guess it's not so much that I have a problem with money, but that I have a problem being satisfied. I expect things to satisfy me. But they don't; there is always something else that I need to get. I am especially convicted by this attitude when I think about people who live in Less Economically Developed Countries (to use the U.N. term). Is this the way a believer should think and act? I was very convicted by my consumerism.

So until my birthday on April 21, I will not be buying anything that is not related to food or the maintenance of my household (i.e. dog food, toilet paper). I may try to push it longer. By the grace of God, I pray that my attitudes about stuff will change.

2 comments:

jess said...

great post. i'm often convicted about the same things. it's ugly. i pray that God would change my heart!

Amanda said...

I am the same way too! It helps that Ray has us on a cash budget, but that doesn't change the desires of your heart. But isn't it comforting to know that God is convicting us and transforming us in areas like this all the time?? :)