Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Pray for me!

So my refrigerator broke last Monday. I kept calm and cleaned it out, taking some stuff to school and cooking and eating far more salmon that I usually do to keep it from going bad. I was pretty sure the fridge was owned by the landlords so I called and asked for a repair guy to come by. He did last Thursday, and I totally understood in German that the refrigerator is "kaput." It would cost 400 euros to repair. He said the landlords may want to buy another one and that they would contact me. So I went the whole weekend without a fridge. Not fun.

Monday, I asked a secretary to call again to check about it, and they told me that they would be in contact about either repairing or replacing it. So I waited... Then I asked her to call again today thinking that I would just give them a little encouragement to have it fixed by the weekend. Turns out that the apartment manager could probably have it fixed by NOT next week, but the NEXT. They have to get approval from the actual owner, then get bids, then buy one or wait for a a repair guy to come.

But hey, the manager said at least the weather was cool so I really didn't need a refrigerator. It's in the 50s and 60s!!!! I can't put food outside!!! What an idiot!

What really burns me up is that I pay extra on my rent for a furnished kitchen. (Most apartments in Germany do not come with a kitchen just an empty room). When asked for a discount on the rent, the manager said, "Well, sure if it takes 6-8 weeks."

I thought about putting a whole bunch of stuff on my window sill with a sign that says, "My refrigerator is broken. The landlord won't fix it, but he said it was cool enough to keep the food outside. Enjoy the sight of my milk, cheese, yogurt, butter, meat, and eggs, as you enter the building!!"

2 comments:

jess said...

how frustrating! i know that is super inconvenient for you.
i'll pray that things will start moving sooner rather than later. the joys of renting! there are definitely pros and cons-sounds like this dude is real winner.

Amanda said...

Good grief! That's ridiculous. Tell him he needs to pay for you to eat out at every meal until he can get it fixed!