Tuesday, June 5, 2007

On to Vienna

So I'm still playing catch-up. We arrived back in Dresden after our trip to Krakow at 7:15 pm. Guess when I left for Vienna? 5:15 the next morning! Yes, I am crazy.
After a LONG 8 hour bus ride (and being in 4 different countries in less than 24 hours), we made to our less than clean hostel. Five chaperones and 30 10th graders; let the fun begin!! Actually, our group was really well-behaved. They were on time and polite, especially compared with other school groups we saw.
We went to several art museums, including the gallery at the Belvedere Palace. Gustav Klimt's The Kiss is there. It is one of my favorites. The gold in the painting is luminous. I snuck a picture when a guard wasn't in the room. Another highlight of the trip was a visit to see the morning workout of the famous Spanish riding school in Vienna. We were able to see one of the horses work on jumping back. It was really cool. Several of our students ride and show horses so they were able to explain a lot about the different techniques. Here's a picture of their stables.



The absolute best part of our trip was going to the Schoenbrunn Palace to hear a concert by the Vienna Philharmonic. This was not part of our plans, but we saw advertisements decided that it would be fun. This was a really famous outdoor, free concert. There were over 80,000 people attending. Plus, Bill Clinton was there accepting a check for his AIDS charity. You can say what you will, but I like him a lot so I was super excited. Plus two older ladies got into a shoving match. So we had multiple forms of entertainment!

I ended up not going on the Model United Nations trip the next week because I wasn't feeling well on Sunday. I was a little disappointed, but I was able to get Zoe a week early and get some work done at school.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Sounds like fun! Even though the notorious WJC was there! The pic of the Kiss is cool.