Friday, June 22, 2007

Last day of school

Today was the last day of school. It seems like the school year has flown by. Yesterday was the students' last day, and we had the end of school assembly for almost three hours. I was truly dreading the assembly because I have never been to an year end assembly that was not excruciatingly painful with an entire day of band and choir songs.

Yesterday was not like that all. There were awards given out to most improved students and to students who exemplify the IB Learner Profile. There was a video produced by the students in drama class about what we as teachers would have been like in high school. It was hilarious. One of the most touching things was that all the departing teachers and students were recognized. I had a hard time not crying at some of the speeches. It was really nice.

The last week of school has been so lovely. There was a teacher appreciation barbecue organized by the Grade 10 students. Only here would the students serve the teachers champagne, beer, and wine. Then, one of the board members had everyone on staff over to his house for dinner. The food was excellent, and the house was even nicer with a spa room that had a steam room and a massage table. I wouldn't mind house-sitting for them. Finally last night, a very large group of teachers went to a Biergarten to celebrate.

One difficult thing is that this is the second year in a row that I'm saying goodbye, but instead of leaving, I'm the one staying behind. It's hard to see all these wonderful teachers, who are also my good friends, leave. I wonder how the next school year will go. This year has been great-by far, my best year teaching- so I wonder if next year will be as nice.

On my walk home from school, I just reflected on how much the Lord has blessed me. I have a job that I love in a country that I am coming to love. I've made wonderful, caring friends here and still have beautiful friends and family back home. I've recently found a new church that is open and grace-filled. I get to travel and see the cool, diverse world that God has made. I'm just so thankful for His love and grace.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Wow. You always have such cool stuff to blog about. I love hearing stories about the school, and how it's different from our schools.