Sunday, May 4, 2008

Transitions

In less than two months, I will be home. My flight is booked for June 27, and Zoe is confirmed too. As I get ready to leave, I am going to share some things that I'll miss and some that I won't.

I'll miss spring in Dresden. It is so wonderful when the weather finally changes. I love being able to open all the windows. Eating outside, especially at Biergartens, is a real treat. Everyone's spirits seem lifted.

I'll also miss not having the expense of a car. I buy a tram/bus pass for 44 euros, and that is pretty much the extent of my transportation expenses for the month (unless I take a taxi, which is rare).

I won't miss seeing people drinking openly on the street. It's just odd to me to see someone drinking straight out of a wine, beer, or liquor bottle at anytime of the day or night anywhere, including the trams and buses.

I won't miss not having the convenience of having a car for grocery shopping. Yesterday, I misjudged and carried home close to 40 pounds of groceries for about half a mile. I weighed it when I got home. That's not even the heaviest grocery load that I've carried.

1 comment:

Mom said...

We know you will miss all your friends and students ( and I know they will miss you terribly) but we are soooo glad you are coming home....wish the circumstances were different though.