Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Books

I've read some really interesting books lately and wanted to share some of the good ones.

The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy: This is the story of fraternal twins. It is set in India, which is one of my very favorite settings for a novel. The best part is Roy's writing style, which is really inventive and different.

The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly: I picked this up in Dublin. It is about a female doctor around the turn of the century in London. I really enjoyed the descriptions of the East End, but I didn't think there was much depth to the book.

The White Mountains by John Christopher: I read this science fiction book to help one of my students write a book report. I liked it. It's about a boy who escapes from tripods that enslave humans.

A Painted House by John Grisham: I'm not really a John Grisham fan usually, but I really liked this book. It has no lawyers in it and is the story of a young boy growing up on a farm in Arkansas.

I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith: I loved this book. It is enchanting.

Soul Survivor by Philip Yancey: He is my favoriite Christian author. In this book, he profiles people, especially writers who have influenced him. I have a whole new list of books to read from this book!

My next book is One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.

2 comments:

jess said...

oooh...always love reading recs. thanks.
so-when is your official fly home date? praying for you....

Chrissy said...

I love Grisham. A book I've recently received and read called Lifetime Loser by James Ross. He
delivers an astounding story about corruption and deceit