Friday, January 11, 2008

Books

I love to read. In fact, I've read 4 books this week alone and half of two others. I would recommend most of them. Here are a few of them that I read this week.

History of Love by Nicole Krauss: This books has a lot of intricate details that come together at the end in a unique way. It's main characters include Leo Gursky who lost the only woman he ever loved when she thought he had died during the Holocaust. The other character is Alma who is named after a character in an obscure book that her deceased father gave her mom. It is a poignant book.

The Road by Cormac McCarthy: I read it all in one sitting. Haunting. When I finally figured out why most of the women of the "bad guys" were pregnant, I was really disturbed . I even dreamed about it last night.

Perfect Match by Jodi Picoult: A fast-moving book about a mother who kills the man accused of molesting her child. It definitely made me think about how far I could be pushed if a loved one was hurt like that.

Hoot by Carl Hiaasen: I'm reading this to make a reading guide for the 7th graders when they read it later it in the semester. It's pretty interesting. I'm not finished with it yet

So those are some of the books I've read this week. I've read a lot of books for students this year. I think my favorite is Tomorrow, When the War Began. It's about a group of teenagers who become resistance fighters when their country (Australia!) is invaded. It is a series. I've already read the second and want to read the others when I have extra money to buy them.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Ahh, I wish I had more time to read. All of those sound good! I will definitely bring a book to Germany...maybe the trains will provide some good reading time.

Jennifer said...

Holly, if you have not read "Into the Wild" by John Krakauer yet, READ IT NOW. I read it over the holidays and could not put it down. It is non-fiction, but a fantastic and almost unbelievable true story.

jess said...

glad you are posting again! jamie just read the road. sounds like a very dark book, but intriguing. i'm currently looking for another book to read-it seems nursing provides lots of reading time as i'm sitting on derriere quite a bit these days!

Niki said...

If you haven't read Pillars of the Earth it is a great book. 1,000 pages but an easy read. About to start "into the wild". I got it for x-mas.